Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sounds

Two sounds as new NICU parents that have freaked me out so far:
1) The Beeping alarm of the oxygen saturation machine. It goes off all the time as an alert. The nurses set the alarm to go off if the blood saturation is too low or too high. I freak out every time. Beeping and my children should never mix. To me the panic that I felt that first time was comparable to if you were flying and saw the pilot strap on a parachute, open the door and leap out of the plane. But the experts told me not to worry unless you see them worry. When the nurses and Dr.'s panic, then I have the right to wet my pants. Nice and comforting, I know.

2) The early morning (3am) phone call that is started with, "Brandy? This is Dr. ???? from Medical Center...." She could have said that Jesus himself just prayed over our children and then the twins began to dance like that little naked internet baby from a few years ago and we would have not heard it at all. My heart stopped and my ears shut down. No parent should EVER get a phone call at 3am about their children. There is NOTHING good going on at 3am. The Nobel Prize committee will NEVER call me to tell me that Allie won at 3am. I will NEVER hear that Brooke scored the game winning goal to give the US Soccer team the gold...at 3AM! Texas A&M University will NEVER send an acceptance letter at 3am!

No comments: