Saturday, September 16, 2006

Today was a Good Day...

Before I get started, I have been informed that I have not given "Full" names of the girls. Well, here they are: Allie Grace and Brooke Faith.

Today was a good day for all around. Family got to come down for a visit from out of state (Hint: Their university lost to Oregon today.). Parents took us to dinner. Texas Tech lost and the Aggies Won...barely!

Oh..and the girls...what about the girls you say...they both had great days! They both had their Arterial line removed from their bellies. Allie's PDA is closed and she has begun feeding on milk. She should be off the respirator and on CPAP soon. Brooke is already on CPAP and just slept all day. She is on medicine to close her PDA and should be able to restart her feedings on Monday morning. She also loved having Mom hold her for 30 minutes today. Dad promised to hold her next. I can't wait! I might just tuck her into my shirt pocket and try and take her home. Yes, she is that small. The nurses and Dr's have told us that there is no manual for Preemies. There are days of large steps forward and days with large steps back. The only thing certain is the uncertainty.

I don't know if the vocal cords are not fully developed yet, but I swear the girls squeak like mice more than cry like babies. It is so funny...and heart wrenching at the same time to hear the girls squeak when they are upset or hiccuping.

One final note, Dad changed a diaper today. First diaper ever. I mean in my 31 years of life. It was just pee, so I will not call myself the "greatest of all time" just yet. I will wait till Allie or Brooke drops a nice sized "deuce" to call myself the champ!

No comments: