Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Things in Dads Head...

1) My babies are like the Space Shuttle. Right now we are on the "t-minus" time with the clock counting down to zero and the day was get to take our girls home. Then and only then, will the clock get to count up from zero. For all explanations, our babies are still in the womb. It is now just a mechanical womb instead of the gooey womb inside Mom. So contrary to popular belief, we will not be bringing home two 2-month olds, we will be bringing home newborns.

2) Our girls organs were working inside Mom...except the lungs. That is the one thing that NICU staff worry about the most. Them breathing. I have sat and watched both my girls heart rate monitors and O2 monitors go crazy with warning bells and whistles as the monitors go from comfortable numbers to dangerously low levels. The girls just forget to breathe. Breathing is not the involuntary reaction it is for you and I. Our girls simply get tired and stop breathing now and then. Speaking from a father that has watched that event happen multiple times in one night, I would not wish this feeling on my worst enemy.

3) Both the girls are doing well, minus the "episodes" mentioned above. They are gaining weight and taking in good air. They just need to grow. I saw Allie sucking on her thumb today. Very cute I must say,until she pulled her thumb out and suddenly flashed what I am pretty sure was the Texas Tech "Get your guns up" hand sign. Pretty sure the ability to get under Dad's skin is genetic and not a learned behavior.

4) My two "chunkies" weigh : Allie -- 2 lbs 14 oz & Brooke -- 2 lbs. 8oz.

No comments: